Monday, May 23, 2011

When I'm An Old Gay

When I become an old gay, I plan to have married my current partner and have at least two children. One from adoption, and one from a surrogate. I want to have my own house, and would love to have designed my own house for my husband and I to retire in to, somewhere that is quiet, yet gay-friendly. I want to be surrounded by my children and their families. I grew up pretty much with just my father, my brother, and me. So I guess that is the reason I want to be surrounded by family, and let my children know they will have family around them for support. I will discipline my children, but only in a way that they will respect their elders. I will never spoil my children to the point that they think they will deserve everything under the sun. I wasn't given everything that most of my friends had, and I think that made me more respecting of the things I actually do have. I can't wait to have children and teach them great family values that are accepting, open, and respectful. I also can't wait to have family dinners. This is something that is rare in my house, as well as much of America. Giving my children healthy food and conversation will hopefully make them into better people. I never thought I would want to, but with the way my mind is leaning right now, I could possibly want to be a teacher. More importantly, a history teacher. I love history soooo much. It makes me happy. The person who I think of every time I think of being a teacher is my 7th grade Texas History Teacher, Mr. Miller. He was the most down to earth teacher I have ever had. And I stayed in touch with him until about my senior year. Although Texas History is boring to me, he made it not so boring. I have thought of the many ways I would teach a class and how I could connect with each of my students. Such as putting the desks into a circle so that we could have a conversation about a particular subject in the book, or making something boring, into something that the students can understand without falling asleep. I am still in school, and am not sure if I am set on being a teacher, because my mind changes so often. I've thought about being a politician, a nurse, an accountant, and even a journalist. Eventually I will make my choice. But I do know that whatever I choose, it will be something that helps people.
I plan on choosing a career that will allow me to help as many people as I can. If I am a teacher, I would dedicate myself to making sure that every student is learning and not slacking off. I cannot stand when students go to school, sleep and expect to pass. If I was a politician, I would never sell out, because I know where I come from, and I know my values. I also know what my community wants. To be a nurse, which would probably be the hardest thing, I would want to either work with young children or senior citizens, but any one would be better than no one. I would love to help ease the pain of a child with cancer or a non-curable disease. I think that helping people is the thing that makes the foundation of America. Get away from the big business and politics, and you have communities. In those communities, you have people who are your neighbors, friends, and family. I want to help those people that honestly cannot help themselves, or women and children that have been abandoned. Another career I thought about was being a veterinarian, but I think my work would be best when helping humans.
I will always plan on supporting the gay community however I can. Whether it be showing up to a gay pride parade, or donating to any group that will forward the rights of gay Americans, as well as others on this planet.


"All men are created equal. No matter how hard you try, you can never erase those words." Harvey Milk

No comments:

Post a Comment