Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Texas, you bore me

I do have to admit, if it weren't for my boyfriend, I would most likely be saving up to move out of state, somewhere closer to the West Coast. Possibly somewhere in Washington or California. Even if I were never to move to either place, I would love to visit some day. Ever since learning what the Castro street was, I have always been intrigued on visiting a gay neighborhood that is as large as this area. Montrose in Houston is a gay neighborhood, but there are still a good majority of straight people, and more homeless people than you can count on all fingers and toes, times 50.

I have always wanted to play a part in the community, but living 30 minutes north of it can be a hassle. Since Annise Parker was elected in 2008 as the first gay mayor of a large city, I have wanted to play a bigger part in my community. I have gone to many gay pride parades, and have even hit up many of the gay clubs. I think my next step is to volunteer at a homeless shelter, or HATCH(Houston Area Teen Coalition of Homosexuals), or even an AIDs center. One of these things would definitely satisfy my need to contribute to the GLBT community.

Moving, or even visiting the Castro and volunteering my time would be something that I would dream of doing. I have been all over the Eastern side of the US, but the farthest I have gone west was to the New Mexico-Arizona border. No further. Possibly that job I just applied for would be enough to save up and fly to California for a few days, with my boyfriend of course, and visit the many popular places along the West Coast. Then head up to Seattle and check out the many coffee shops and bars that they have to offer.

Hopefully I can be motivated to do something about this lack of satisfaction with my involvement in the gay community. So help me out and set up an outline of where I can go and where I can visit along my trip.

"All men are created equal. No matter how hard you try, you can never erase those words." Harvey Milk

3 comments:

  1. You can come visit me! I live in Castro Valley (not The Castro, but I've got a nice story about the confusion). I can only offer a blow-up mattress on a dirty floor for accomodation, but it's just a 25 minute BART ride from San Francisco.

    When you mentioned a gay neighborhood, I immediately thought of Montrose. I was there once. Must have been in better days, though, 'cause I thought it was neat, tidy and I didn't see any homeless people. I was attending a week-long class in Sugarland at the time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great blog Eric. I am tremendously impressed.

    ReplyDelete