Monday, April 25, 2011

Disconnecting Myself

"Ok I'll admit!!! I am addicted to online social media. :-( It's something that is sweeping the Internet and everyone, most everyone, is apart of. It's hard to say, but I just do not want to be apart of the Facebook social media part. I have been on there for two years, possibly over 2,000 status updates, and even more likes and comments. Out of the blue, my boyfriend tells me that he is deactivating his Facebook account. He says he spends too much time on Facebook. This made me realize that I do the same, but probably worse.


Many times when I plan on studying or reading some of my books, Facebook somehow finds a way to lure me in. Whether it's just sitting there with the home screen waiting for people to update or searching through friends pictures and status updates. This is horrible. Suddenly two hours later I realize how much time I have wasted. How can something so simple and plain be so time consuming? Before went ahead and deactivated it, I sent some people messages and made a status update, which is probably gone now, stating my email and what I was doing. Hopefully this allows people to be more personal with chats, but I doubt it. Sometimes I envy snail mail and the excitement of getting something in the mail when I check it. Now it's just bills and junk mail. Maybe I should begin to get friends addresses and individually write out and send snail mail. Sounds like such a good idea.

I plan on filling my time now with more productive activities, whether it be taking a jog, going to the park, or somewhere else to read a book, or just going outside to enjoy the day and get some sun. I will be testing myself to see how far I can actually go. Thinking about how much Facebook has connected so many such as old classmates and family makes me think it is very much a good thing. But the fact that it is so easy to hide, delete, or block someone just makes me think of how impersonal it is. If someone spams the status updates, it is just so easy to hide them, but have them think you are actually caring to read their life. There is also the privacy part. I had some people that I consider acquaintances and some even less than that. I realized that sometimes I updated my location, although never my home, but just think if some of those people really had other intentions such as harming me in some way. Most of my life was on there for all my friends and family to see. I think that's kinda scary. But we shall see how far I can actually go with this.

"All men are created equal. No matter how hard you try, you can never erase those words." Harvey Milk

1 comment:

  1. I miss you so much!!! I think you should send me snail mail!! Lets be penpals in Houston lol.

    ReplyDelete